Cinco de mayo saw me sampling 4 different tequila cocktails at The Drake. Clockwise from top right are:
- Classic lime margarita (using Sauza silver and gold tequilas)
- Mango margarita (Sauza Hornitas Reposado + Bols Mango)
- Pineapple margarita(Sauza Hornitas Reposado + Bols Pineapple Chipotle)
- and my favourite, the Paloma, made with Sauza Hornitas Black Barrel and grapefruit soda.
For a more traditional Paloma recipe, here’s one from the LCBO “Rethink Tequila” campaign.
- ¼ fresh lime
- kosher or sea salt (to rim)
- 1 ½ oz tequila
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 4 oz grapefruit juice
- soda water
- Grapefruit segment to garnish
Rub lime quarter around the rim of a Collins glass. Salt rim. Add ice, tequila and simple syrup. Sqeeze lime quarter into the glass and drop it in. Fill glass with grapefruit juice and top with soda water. Garnish with a grapefruit skewer.